Adobe master Ben Loescher sent us a quick note about some upcoming classes that he’s organizing in and around his Pioneertown headquarters:
- The next session of our monthly, half day Making Adobe class in Pioneertown is coming up on Sunday, August 21st. Just a couple minutes from both Sand to Snow National Monument and Joshua Tree National Park, we’ll spend Sunday providing a condensed introduction to making and building with adobe brick. Our final two session this year will be on September 25 and October 23th. Register here, bring your friends, make some bricks, build a wall and have a beverage at Pappy and Harriet’s when you are done (beverage not included).
- Our first, month long Adobe Residency runs weekdays from October 24 through a series of progressive workshops that will show folks how to build an adobe structure… from start to finish! The four week program will be taught by noted adobe educator Kurt Gardella in beautiful Pioneertown, California. Register here!
Five Day Classes:
Not ready to commit? We are also offering weeklong classes concurrent with the residency that can be taken a la cart.
- Adobe Project Planning and Foundations – October 24-28
- Adobe Wall Construction – October 31-November 4
- Roofs, Vaults, Openings and Insulation – November 7 – 11
- Interior and Exterior Earthen and Lime Finishes – November 14-18
- The Los Angeles Bread Bakers has been holding monthly bread and pizza baking events at The Westchester Community Oven in west LA, which was built through a series of AiNS workshops and in collaboration with artist Beth Ann Morrison and Environmental Change Makers. Stop by if you are interested in bread baking, or seeing a earthen horno in action, RSVP and bring your dough!
Got something going on? Have a project and want to host a workshop?:
Drop us a line! We’re anxious to hear about new projects, preservation efforts, classes and folks doing recreational or professional adobe work in California. There’s a lot of folks that we have yet to meet!