Want to learn how to make delicious cheeses in your own kitchen? It’s easier than you think. Our guest this week is radical natural cheesemaker David Asher, author of The Art of Natural Cheesemaking: Using Traditional, Non-Industrial Methods and Raw Ingredients to Make the World’s Best Cheeses.
During the podcast we discuss:
- The difference between natural cheesmaking and the way most cheese is made in North America.
- Using a kefir culture to make cheese.
- The importance of quality milk.
- What if I can’t get raw milk?
- Easy cheeses.
- The ins and out of rennet and how to make your own.
- WalcoRen rennet.
- Using cardoon flowers instead of rennet.
- Tools you need for cheesemaking.
- Hacking a fridge to make your own cheese cave.
- Using leftover whey for fertilizer and cooking.
- Making chèvre.
- How to store cheese.
- The cheese scene in Canada and the legality of raw milk.
- Raw milk cheeses in Quebec.
To find out about David’s classes visit his website The Black Sheep School of Cheesemaking.
If you want to leave a question for the Root Simple Podcast please call (213) 537-2591 or send an email to [email protected]. You can subscribe to our podcast in the iTunes store and on Stitcher. The theme music is by Dr. Frankenstein. A downloadable version of this podcast is here.