At the risk of turning Root Simple into a skunk complaint blog, please witness the devastation to both my ego and my small patch of rapini.
Luckily, I was able to get a picture of the perpetrator:
Skunk lessons learned the hard way:
- tightly secure vegetable beds with bird netting
- don’t do a half-assed job with the hoops that support the bird netting
- don’t think that “this year those skunks won’t go digging for grubs.”
- transplant instead of sowing directly (more work, but it just works better for me)
- lay compost on beds and let the skunks work it in with their high heels
Here’s what the our new keyhole bed looks like with anti-skunk measures in place–bird netting supported by bent PVC pipe.
Now if only I could repair my crushed gardening ego